[A Day in the Life] January 10, 2017.

Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Even though these are so time consuming to do, I like to have them to look back on to see what a typical day is like. Plus I think life is going to be changing tremendously once Mason starts kindergarten in the fall, so I want to remember what life is like now.

Today is Tuesday, January 10, 2017. Seth is 34 years old, I am 32 years old, and Mason is almost 4 1/2 years old.

5:00am -- My alarm goes off. Hit snooze.

5:09am -- Snooze alarm goes off again. Hit snooze. Again. I don't remember hitting snooze this time?

5:18am -- Snooze alarm goes off again. Hit snooze. AGAIN.

5:22am -- I get a text. What time is it???

5:29am -- I FINALLY decide to get up. It annoys Seth to no end that I hit snooze so many times since his alarm goes off at 5:30am and he should get up then to get ready for work. I do this every morning. I'm sure he hates me. I get out of bed RIGHT before his alarm goes off so he thinks I'm up on time. I'm not. Ever. I put in my contacts, brush my teeth, and shower.

5:52am -- Out of the shower and head back into our room to get ready for the day.

5:56am -- I think I hear Mason moving. We still use the monitor (and I probably will until the thing dies on me because I'm nosy and like to see what he's doing in there) so I click to see if he's up.  He is moving, so I think maybe wake up won't be as bad today as it has been the past couple days (I've had to wake him up instead of him waking on his own) but who knows, he'll probably fall back asleep.

6:01am -- He's covered himself back up (which he can't seem to do at 2am but can do at 6am???) and is back asleep. I'm screwed for wake up for sure.

6:01-6:38am -- I text the person back who texted me, make to do list notes to myself, and get ready. It takes me ten times as long to get ready in the morning because I'm always so distracted by texting, checking my email/Facebook/Instagram, and trying to jot down things I don't want to forget. Everyday. You'd think I'd learn to ignore my phone, but I don't. I do my make up, dry my hair, and straighten it. It's Day 3 of my new hair cut and I'm impressed with myself that I've continued to do it every morning instead of just put it in bun like normal. Getting my hair cut short did what I wanted it to do and I'm back to actually getting ready fully in the mornings rather than just throwing my hair up. every. day.

6:38am -- I'm finally done. I head downstairs and turn on my computer (that I rarely do anymore since I've been so late lately but had a couple things I wanted to check and do real fast). I finish writing a card to my friend for her baby shower so I can mail it this morning while Mason is at speech.

7:03am -- Realize I'm definitely running late and figure out what to make myself for lunch to take to work, for breakfast right now, and head upstairs to wake Mason up. I hate having to wake him up in the mornings because he obviously is still tired and I just feel bad in general having to wake him from sleeping. Never wake a sleeping baby [child]. Every morning that I have to wake him up, I wish I didn't have to work and I could stay home and let him sleep as long as he wanted. Though I'm sure that's a double edged sword where if I had my way, he'd wake up at 4:30am everyday. The grass isn't always greener like we assume.

7:19am -- I've finally woken Mason up and we head downstairs for our respective breakfasts. I get him some milk and put a waffle in the toaster for him and I pour myself some honey nut cheerios and add some strawberries on top. I hope that I can finish it in the next 10 minutes so I can run upstairs and get myself changed, grab Mason's clothes, and get back downstairs to change him and leave by 7:40am. I don't have high hopes but challenge accepted!

7:43am -- We finally leave the house, a little later than I’d like, but hopefully we won’t be late.

7:54am -- We arrive at the school with just enough time to park, take a selfie (#priorities), and walk down the street to the classroom. He grabs my hand to hold it while we walk down the street and my heart practically explodes. I LOVE when HE initiates the hand holding!

8:00am -- I drop Mason off at speech, walk back to the car, head to post office to mail my letter and check the PO Box, and stop at Starbucks. It's a sad day because it's officially officially not red cup season anymore (I got one the week before and it made me happy) AND there are no more holiday drinks (I was loving the Chestnut Praline Latte!). I debate trying the new Butterscotch Latte, but decide to just go with my boring Vanilla Latte. It tastes good but I'm disappointed. I should have branched out. 

I head back to the school, park, make some calls, post a picture on Instagram, scroll through Instagram and Facebook, text Desiree, and wait for it to be time to go back to get Mason. Facebook tells me that On This Day in 2012, we announced that we were pregnant with Mason!

8:55am -- I get out of car and walk to get Mason.

9:00am -- Pick Mason up at speech and head back to the car to drop Mason off at school and head to work.

9:15am -- Arrive at Mason's school and drop him off.

9:28-10:52am -- Arrive at work. I talk to my co-workers, get messages from any calls that I missed, check emails, check voicemails, and have some oranges for a snack. Do some odds and ends while waiting for my co-worker to get to work with the mail. I feel like it seems like I've done nothing at all, yet the time has gone by so quickly.

10:52 -- Have some time before my co-worker gets here with the mail, so I check for transfer information for Mason for kindergarten on the school district's website. It's finally posted!

11:10am-3:30pm -- My co-worker arrives with the mail. I process the payments, call the customers to confirm their passes for this weekend's event will be held at will call for them, have lunch, print their passes, update the will call list, and get everything put away in it's proper area. Send more emails, get the deposit information ready, and send off an email with our updated numbers to the bosses.

3:30pm -- Leave work, head to the bank to make our deposit, and then head home. Softball is canceled for Seth due to the rain and he is able to get Mason after work, so I head home to get some stuff done.

4:00pm -- Arrive home.

4:02pm -- Drop all my stuff off on the counter and immediately go upstairs to get changed into leggings and fuzzy sock slippers.

4:05pm -- Tackle the to do list which includes making a to do list (transferring from my phone to my planner) and adding things to the to do list that I already did... just so I could check them off (sad, but true).

4:06-5:30pm -- Get some Oreos and some milk. Forgot to take my antibiotic for my cold after lunch and (even though I still feel mostly full from lunch and it would probably be ok) it says to take with food or with milk... so cookies and milk it is! Look up umbrellas on Amazon. We've literally gotten more rain in the past month than we have in the past four years and I don't think my umbrella is used to being used so much. Also probably need to invest in an umbrella for Mason because carrying him and an umbrella is not working so well anymore. Since when do umbrellas cost $25?? I thought they only cost like $10... but maybe that was back in 2000 when I probably bought the one I have now. Submit reimbursement form for our Dependent Care Flex Spending Account.

5:30pm -- Put dinner in the oven that Seth prepped the night before. Get broccoli ready.

5:52pm -- Seth and Mason come home.

5:53pm -- Mason runs over to me to say hi and immediately wants to play trains.

5:57pm -- That was short lived. Now he wants to play Hot Dots.

6:10pm -- Dinner is ready. This is crazy early for us. Normally Seth doesn't even start it until 6pm, but since we prepped the night before thinking that he would be at softball during dinner time (and I could just pop it in the oven to heat up), it made it fast and easy. We're having the enchilada bake from the Mix and Match Mama's Eats cookbook that I got for Christmas.

6:48pm -- I realize that President Obama's farewell address is on TV and turn it on.

7:00-7:30pm -- President Obama's speech is over and it's bath time! I get the water ready and then get Mason. I attempt to "shoot for Cheerios" (our encouragement to use the potty) but he refuses. Seriously, why is it so frustrating to argue with a kid?? I say he needs to try and he just says no over and over. I say yes and he says no. I feel like my parents are laughing at me knowing this is happening right now... We finish the bath and get changed, brush teeth, add oils to the diffuser, and then make our way downstairs to watch one show before bed time.

7:30-8:00pm -- Paw Patrol.

8:00pm -- Seth takes Mason upstairs to read a book and go to bed.

8:13pm -- I'm guessing story time is over now because Mason starts yelling out "Daddy! Daddy! Daddy! Daddy!" in the MOST heart breaking voice. He's normally amazing at going to bed, but every so often he goes through these spurts of not being able to go to bed alone. Sometimes he falls asleep just fine but then cries around midnight and we bring him into our bed. (This doesn't always work or last long because he KICKS and I am always at the foot to the face end and he kicked me so hard in the mouth the other night that Seth brought him back to his room). Recently (the past two nights), he cries like something is terribly wrong when you try to leave him in his room. Monday night I had to lay in there until he fell asleep and I'm guessing that's what Seth is doing right now too.

9:00-10:00pm -- THIS. IS. US. I love this show so much!

10:01pm -- It's a miracle I made it to this late at night! Lately I've been falling asleep at like 8:02pm, right after Mason goes to bed, so it's impressive that the show kept my attention while laying on the couch and I didn't fall asleep.

10:02pm-11:00pm -- Finish some stuff on the computer, jot down some notes for this post, get it started a bit, and then head to bed... still shocked that I made it to this late at night! Take out contacts and head to bed.

11:00pm -- Good night!


  1. Wake up at 5 and asleep at 11... man I'm exhausted at the idea lol! And Noah technically can sleep late on a few days and wake up at 7:30 on school days and yet he's usually up on his own by 6!!! And yet if we have to be somewhere early, those are always the days he sleeps in! It's like they know!!!

  2. It sounds like you get about as much sleep as I do. Do you find yourself wanting a nap in the afternoon, lol! Can't even believe Mason will be in Kindergarten come fall. Sometimes I feel like my kids are so much older than some of my blogging friends' kids, but really Emily isn't that much older. Butterscotch Latte, I may need to try that one.

  3. I love your reasoning about eating cookies and milk just to take your medicine. That's my thinking exactly! Oreos are my favorite! Sounds like a busy day :)

  4. I love your living room! Looks like a good day. Does Seth cook most nights? So does Dave! I'm not a good cook.

  5. I love seeing your day because as a working Mom you have less time to do things at home than I do yet you accomplish it all so well. I wonder if I'll have the same luck when I go back to work in the future (like when C is in school full time).

  6. I love reading these! You and I wake up at similiar-ish times and go to bed at similir times, wow we need to get more sleep hehe :) I eating oreos and milk to take meds, totally acceptable, Oreos are my downfall in life and I try not to buy them because I will eat the whole package in days...if I can hold off that long, LOL.

    1. OH and I totally write things down on lists that I've already done so I can cross it off, to make myself feel better :) Eat breakfast? Check, Eat lunch Check, haha.

  7. Your mornings sound so much like mine…hitting the snooze button for a solid 30 minutes or so, taking longer to get ready because of my phone, and dread waking Mason up! Oh and I am always late. Always. How cute is Mason in his glasses!! Precious. Is he doing good with them? I love these posts! I always have the best intentions of doing one, but I am not good at taking notes or pictures throughout the day!

  8. I used to hit snooze so many times that I just make my husband wake me up when he gets up now!
    What are hot dots? I am so intrigued!
    YES- I love THIS IS US. Best show right now!

  9. I didnt realize you started work at 9a. That used to be my schedule yearsss ago and I loved it! I only give myself 30 minutes to get ready in the morning before getting Kinsey ready for school and then eating in like 5 minutes before leaving at 730a- mornings arent especially my favorite lol.
    Who texts at 5a in the morning?!?!

  10. I just published a day in the life post and it sounds like we both picked the same day, haha. I'm with you on the snooze button. I hit it at least twice, if not more. I love your hair cut! It looks great on you!! This Is Us is my new favorite. I didn't watch it when it started, but I caught up while I was on maternity leave. So, so good!

  11. I always love these little glimpses into life! But Liz, you wake up too early. Way too early. I'm tired just thinking about what time you wake up.

  12. You pack a lot into your days!! A 5:00am alarm would kill me and I might kill someone for texting me that early haha :) Loved seeing your routine and your commentary :) Bedtime seems more like bargain time at my house these days... one more story, snuggle or drink. It's always something to keep things interesting.

  13. TOTALLY guilty of texting at like 5:22. You can thank Julia for those early morning texts. SORRY! ;) And seriously, no matter how early we are up, we are always scrambling to get out the door on time for school. Whyyyy?!
    Marcus is the same way when it comes to playing with stuff: he wants to do something SO bad, and 13 seconds later he's like, "DONE!'
    Also. That enchilada bake looks SO GOOD! Was it? And, hows that cookbook? Do I need it in my life?

  14. I LOVE posts like these! I actually have one on the calendar for later this month because they are some of my favorite posts to look back on!

    Was I the one who texted you so early? LOL! Two hour time difference is killer :p

  15. You are so busy!! Especially in the mornings. I'm impressed that you get up, dressed and ready before Mason gets up. I haven't set a real alarm clock in ages. Plus, I'm late for work every single day, so there's that.

  16. aww sweet memory about announcing on that day many moons ago =)
    I love your line of pictures above the TV too.
    Not a fan of going to sleep struggles. Had so many with Aria blah. Maybe Lincoln will just be an angel baby and give me zero sleep struggles!


I love your comments and I love connecting with my readers! I respond back via email so please make sure that your email is connected to your profile. Thanks for stopping by :)